Huawei says it will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to customers, despite reports that Google is excluding Huawei phones and tablets from its latest Android updates and apps such as Gmail and YouTube.
In a statement, the telecommunications company said this would cover all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products that have been sold and are still in stock globally.
On Thursday, the Trump administration added Huawei to a trade blacklist, immediately enacting restrictions on the company to do business with US counterparts.
China is “closely watching” the issue and supports Chinese firms to protect their own interests by law, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman was quoted as saying on Monday.
Chinese users of Huawei’s devices are not affected, the company said.
Though Google should “comply with the recent US government actions,” it will continue offering services to current users, it said on Twitter. Services such as Google Play & security will “keep functioning on existing Huawei devices,” it said.
In the first quarter, Huawei took a 19.5 percent share of the global market, ranking No. 2 behind Samsung’s 23.5 percent, according to researcher firm TrendForce.
Meanwhile, Huawei has a “Plan B” to deal with such a blacklist, including methods to develop its own system and services, Huawei’s executives have said previously.
“We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally,” Huawei said in Monday’s statement.