Some 100 photos of the Bund are on display on the South Bund showing the changes of the waterfront over more than 70 years.
The exhibition, part of Huangpu District’s celebration of the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China, is free at 666 Waima Road through September 12. Reservations are required for group visitors.
Organized by the Bund Investment Group, the photos chronicle the economic, political, social, cultural and ecological development of the Bund since 1949. They are mainly about urban renewal, the Bund financial sector, tourists and the people who work in the area.
Some show the liberation of the city in 1949 and construction of the Bund in the early 1990s. One group shows the People’s Liberation Army entering the city and fighting the remaining Kuomintang forces on Waibaidu Bridge and the Bund.
Another shows the national flag being raised for the first time in the city over the former home of Shanghai Municipal Council at 193 Hankou Road in October 1949, after Shanghai’s first mayor Chen Yi signed an agreement there with Kuomintang official Zhao Zukang.
Other pictures show tourists sitting in line on the Bund after the initial phase of the flood wall was completed in 1992 as well as a large number of citizens waiting outside the Shanghai Postal Building by Suzhou Creek to apply for telephones in 1991. It cost 2,300 yuan (US$322) to install a personal telephone at home then, an enormous amount of money at the time.
The Bund symbolizes the beginning of Shanghai’s development and of reform and opening-up, said Xin Yahua, vice president and secretary general of the Shanghai Photographers’ Association.
The South Bund waterfront has both historical structures and new attractions. Renovation of riverside paths in the Dongjiadu area is where the city’s earliest shikumen, or stone-gate houses, were built, alongside the Lujiabang Road ferry station.
The Cool Docks, a fashion and dining development on the river, attracts both citizens and tourists.